A DELICIOUS LUNCH CAN MAKE YOUR DAY A LITTLE BRIGHTER
It's difficult to fit lunch into your schedule when you have back-to-back classes. Instead of skipping the meal all-together, I try to create simple options that keep me full and are easy to grab on the go.
One of my biggest tips is to put everything in mason jars!
Mason jars are narrow so they fit easily in a backpack, and they hold the perfect amount of food.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fibre. They're easy to incorporate into meals and, above all, are very tasty.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Mix everything together in a large bowl and seperate into mason jars. Store in the firdge and grab a jar whenever you're hungry!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- I medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
SPICED CHICKEN AND COUSCOUS
This meal requires considerably more time than the others, but i love to prepare a large bulk amount and t=store for the whole weel. I usually use couscous in place of most grains, like rice, since it's lower in fat and calories.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup insant couscous
- Defrost chicken (still enclosed in package) in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes
- Place chicken breasts in parchment-lined pan and rub spice blend evenly on all 3 breasts
- place pain in lower oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes
- Once taken out of the oven, slice the breasts in narrow 1/2 inch thick peices and store in container.
- bring 1 1/2 cups of water in a medium-sized pot to a boil
- Aded in 1 cup of couscous and stir. Turn off heat and cover the pot. Let couscous steam for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, then store in containers.